With the noise and drama generated by US domestic politics and business, there is a huge risk of missing important details and not bothering to observe and to think. We are too distracted to ask questions which can provide at least one view of the future. Quick example: 75% of the passengers on a recent American Airlines flight from Dallas to Santiago, Chile were Chinese nationals. If you are paying attention and have some degree of curiosity, you might ask WHY IS THAT?
Today’s brain game has two questions. First, choose the best answer to the question above:
- Totally random occurrence
- Chinese nationals can get into Chile with a US or Canada visa
- The shortest flight from Beijing to Santiago is through Dallas
- While the US is entering a trade war with China, China and Chile have signed a free trade agreement
- China is increasing its influence, resource base and capability on this side of the Pacific Rim
- All of the above
Second question desires a free-form short answer:
WHY SHOULD WE CARE?
PS. There is no algorithm for answering these questions. Google and Facebook will not help. Use your human thinking cap, talk to some people, gather some data points and form an opinion you can support. And the best first answer is “f”.